I was on the ol’ FB last night talking with my buddy Alex about our spotify playlists and I thought maybe I should share the music I’ve been playing in the background while I’ve been gallivanting around these past few months with you!
I don’t know if everyone else does this, but I always have a playlist of songs that I play in the background throughout the day, and that I use to make radio stations when I’m looking for new songs. Time to make dinner? Throw on that playlist. Beach day? I’ve got the perfect playlist for that! We have friends coming over for drinks on the patio? Cool let me grab our little portable speaker. This playlist always has songs on it that are relaxed but not boring, and I have to rotate songs out every so often so I don’t get sick of it. So, in no particular order, here’s what my perfect playlist looks like right now! The soundtrack that accompanies my beach days and my patio drinks and my road trips through Spain.
- “Boy Got it Bad” by Kail Baxley. Don’t assume that someone named Kail must automatically be a strange hippie folk singer just because of the vegetable. He’s not! This song’s got a sort of gritty, bluesy, southern style that I am in love with.
- “It’s Her Life” by Two Feet. There’s a few songs from this group that I love, but I’m trying to keep the list under 25 songs so I picked the first song I heard by them that really got me hooked.
- “Que Sera” by Wax Tailor. The chorus is “What will be, will be” in Spanish, so I’m not sure there’s a more perfect song to listen to while you’re roaming aimlessly through Spain.
- “Safari” by J. Balvin, BIA, and Pharrell. This song has come on every single time I’ve gone out dancing. This is the Spanish party anthem right now, the “Yeah” by Usher in every club. No matter what, for the rest of my life, I will uncontrollably throw both my hands up and give the whitest of white girl woos when I hear this song.
- “Back for Me” by Electric Guest. These guys have had at least one song on my rotation for years now. I’m always finding a song I like by them. Right now, that song is this one.
- “Gimme That Kinda” by Electric Wire Hustle. This song kind of makes its way in and out and back into my playlist. But there’s a reason for that, and it’s because Electric Wire Hustle is the tits. Jazz style music, but not in the ‘everyone’s drinking out of snifters and shushing you’ kind of way.
- “Cigarettes and Loneliness” by Chet Faker. Chet Faker is great. All of his stuff. He needs to keep putting music out for the rest of my life so I can continue to find new, fantastic songs for my playlists. Seriously, when he sings “I cannot dream this enough when you’re gone…” I have to let out a sigh or my heart might explode because I love the way his voice sounds at that part so much. This is not a song about love, but I would still play it at my wedding because holy fluttering of my heart.
- “Smooth Sailing” by Leon Bridges. As I started typing this, I put this song on and Rob immediately stopped everything he was doing to start dancing around in his underwear in the kitchen. And he seems pretty upset that I’m not jumping out of my chair to join him. Ok hold on…
- “Mobius Streak” by Hiatus Kaiyote. No clue how to pronounce that band name, but I do know that the lead singer has one of the more sultry, sexy voices I’ve heard in a while and the music accompanying her voice is also fantastic.
- “Sunny” by Hippie Sabotage. This kind of has a ‘creepin’ around in the dark looking for drugs’ vibe, and I’m into it.
- “Season 2 Episode 3” by Glass Animals. My buddy (mentioned above) and kindred spirit, Alex, introduced me to this band. All their songs are awesome, I could’ve put any song on here and it would have deserved it’s spot. But this one is currently on the rotation so I’ll share this one with you. It’s a great song for day drinking in the sun, upbeat and fun but not so much so that it belongs in a club.
- “Letting in” by Beauville and NoMbe. I think this might be a remix of a song that was originally just acoustic. In this version there’s a little oomph to it that wouldn’t exist with just the guitar and I like it.
- “Wyrd” by Glass Animals. Ok one more song from these guys because I just love it so much and I think you will too. I’ll try not to be too repetitive from here on out.
- “River” by Bishop Briggs. When this song pops up on a long car ride or road trip, I don’t know what it is (maybe that clapping beat in the background that I can’t help but rock my head to) but I have to get into it.
- “Clap Your Hands” by Whilk and Misky. This is another good ‘day drinking at the beach’ song if you’re into that sort of thing. If you’re not I’m not really sure what to say to you…
- “10,000 Emerald Pools” by BØRNS. This is song is just so dreamy, I can actually picture myself swimming through a bunch of emerald pools like a goddamn mermaid when I listen to it. Also, it took me so incredible long to figure out how to write that crazy (is it Norweigen? Danish?) looking ‘o’.
- “Family and Genus” by Shaky Graves. For some reason when this song comes on during our road trips it immediately puts me in this super reflective mood, and I’ll start gazing out the window and thinking about my life and our trip and what not. Then I catch myself and I’m like, “Shaky Graves! Ya got me again!”
- “Away From Today” by Dan Croll. This song kind of sounds like something that could’ve been on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack (I think it’s the horns?) and who doesn’t want to be as cool as a Quentin Tarantino movie right?
- “On + Off” by Maggie Rogers. Perfect montage music, maybe I’ll make a slideshow of Spain travel pics and throw this on in the background.
- “Devil Like Me” by Rainbow Kitten Surprise. Spotify threw this at me when I made a radio station based off of this exact playlist that I’m sharing with you. I was a little skeptical when I saw the band name. But they’re actually really awesome! Surprise indeed!
- “When You Love Somebody” by Fruit Bats. Omg! I totes love somebody! This is my saahhhhng! I swear this song is totally about me!!! *shudder*
- “I’m Shakin'” by Jack White. I threw this on after watching a bunch of explosions at the mascletas and it was perfect. So if your travels also include blowing stuff up (or maybe even if they don’t) you’re gonna want to add this one.
- “I Can’t Hear You” by The Dead Weather. Also a good post explosives song, sun glasses and a beer pair up really well with this.
- “Mountain Top” by Walterwarm and Cowode. If I went out partying all night with Rihanna and all her cool friends, and the next day we were all hungover and smoking weed in the sun poolside and someone said, “Jax! Put on some music!” I would put on Walterwarm. Not that I think about what being friends with Rihanna would be like constantly or anything… (Rihanna, if you’re reading this, call me because I’m 100% sure we’re party soul mates.)
That’s not actually every single song on the playlist right now (it would be way too short and I would go crazy) but for the sake of readability I’ll stop here for now. If you want to see all the music I love my spotify playlists are public. Feel free to peruse them, my username is Jackie Ronnell (so incredibly original right?)
So that’s my list! The soundtrack of my life at the moment! I’ll need some new material soon as we move on from Spain and start the next big adventure though! What are your guys’ go to songs right now? Leave me some new material in the comments section! And have a fantastic damn day 🙂